- Find a Dentist
- Choose Clinic
- Book the Appointment
Find Your Nearest Emergency Dentist
What is a Dental Emergency?
An emergency dentist treats any issue with the teeth or surrounding area that requires urgent care.
How can I tell if I have a dental emergency?
If you're unsure whether you need to see an emergency dentist right away, or if you can wait for an in-hours appointment, simply ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I in severe pain?
- Am I bleeding from the mouth?
- Have I been hit in the face or mouth?
- Are any of my teeth loose?
- Are my cheeks or mouth swollen?
- Do I have any lumps or swellings on my gums?
If you answered ‘yes’ to one or more of the above questions, you need to see a dentist as soon as possible. Book an appointment with emergency dentist near you and explain your situation. Clearly describe your symptoms and you will be given professional advice on the next steps to take.
How do I prevent a dental emergency?
Take good care of your oral health and preventing a dental emergency is simple:
- Brush your teeth after each meal
- Floss your teeth at least once a day
- Attend routine dental checkups
Other helpful tips to prevent dental emergencies include:
- Wear a mouthguard during sport to protect your teeth from chips and knocks.
- Don’t chew on ice as it can wear down enamel and chip or fracture teeth.
- Visit your dentist for a checkup before extensive travel or a long holiday. Your dentist will make sure you don’t have any underlying issues that could develop into an emergency.
What should I do in the case of a dental emergency?
Book an emergency dentist appointment with immediately. In the meantime, gently floss your teeth and rinse your mouth with warm water. A cold compress can help with swelling, but avoid taking painkillers as they can burn the gums.
Apply ice to the injured area and depending on the severity of your injury, call either your dentist or the emergency room straight away.
Knocked out tooth:
The sooner you see a dentist can increase the chance of saving the tooth. Call your dentist immediately and follow these steps:
- Pick up the tooth by the bottom part (the crown). Don't touch the root.
- Rinse with water to remove dirt.
- Be careful to leave any remaining fragments of tissue in place.
- Try to place the tooth back into the socket, or place it in a cup of water with a pinch of salt.
Chipped or broken tooth:
Rinse your mouth with warm water and keep the area clean. Use a cold compress to ease pain. Take anti-inflammatory medication if needed, but avoid aspirin and gels. Small chips can be filed by your dentist during normal office hours. Serious chips or fractures, however, must be treated immediately with either a crown, an implant or a bridge to restore your tooth.
Loose or dislodged (partially erupted) tooth:
Without using force, gently try moving tooth back into position. Keep it in place by biting down. Pain and swelling can be helped with a cold compress and over-the-counter medication. Book an emergency dentist appointment.
- Loose brackets and bands:
Book an appointment with your dentist to repair your braces. In the meantime, place orthodontic wax over the loose bracket or band to keep it secure.
- Broken wires:
Rinse your mouth with salt water. Try moving the wire back into place with a pencil eraser. Use orthodontic wax to stop to the broken wire from rubbing your gums. Call your dentist to have your braces fixed.
Soft tissue injuries:
Injuries to the gums, tongue, teeth, and lips require urgent attention. If you’re bleeding, apply gauze to the injury site, and hold it there for 15 to 20 minutes. A hot compress held to your cheek for 5 to 10 minutes can also help ease pain. See your dentist as soon as possible.
A serious infection in the mouth, face or jaw, an abscess needs urgent treatment to avoid risk of tooth loss. Rinse your mouth with salt water, and use a hot compress on your cheek to ease pain. Book an emergency appointment with your dentist immediately.
How do I find an emergency dentist near me?
With Dentists Near Me, booking an appointment with a great emergency dentist near you is easy!
- Simply search for emergency dentists in your area.
- Choose the perfect dentist for you.
- Book an appointment - remember, you don’t have to be registered with a practice to receive emergency treatment from them.
You can even call up our friendly operators for further guidance. Our team are dedicated to making your experience go as smoothly as possible; they can find the perfect emergency dentist for you, and offer professional advice on pain management before your appointment.
Why choose a dentist with Dentists Near Me?
We are committed to providing our customers with the best service possible. To ensure the quality of your dental care, our skilled and experienced dentists are pre-screened for certification, use cutting-edge materials and equipment, and attend regular seminars to stay informed of the latest products and procedures. With Dentists Near Me, you can always depend on professionalism and superior dental care.